Wondering which muffler to choose for your vehicle? Mufflers come in different varieties. The most common type being chamber mufflers. These are of different length and sizes. Each muffler has a number of chambers, while some may have one there are some which have multiple chambers. The best kind are perhaps the chambered mufflers because they help reduce the noise in the engine yet provide the much sought after growl which a muscle car needs.
How do you find the right sound muffler?
It all actually depends upon the kind of muffler you are looking for. While some mufflers sound like a low throaty growl there are few which sound like a full on ear splitting roar. The right kind of muffler varies from person to person all depending upon what works for an individual.
The basic work of a muffler is to provide noise reduction. When internal combustion takes place in the muffler, gases are released in the form of short pressure burst. These bursts of pressure create a lot of sound waves, the muffler helps reduce these sound waves to a tolerable level. see here for more information on industrial exhaust technology.
Though it may sound simple enough, but the performance by a muffler is quite complicated. Most people prefer buying after-market mufflers. They provide maximum exhaust performance and reduce noise levels to an acceptable level.
A muffler compromises of baffles, chambers and perforated tubes. In other words a variety of sound deadening material goes into the construction of an ideal muffler. Each of these are fitted in a different way by the manufacturers to give different back up and performance.
When buying a muffler, keep the following things in mind
- Should you buy a single or a dual system muffler? This is turn would help you find how many inlets you would need. A muffler with a single exhaust would need a single inlet.
- The diameter of the exhaust pipe. Its necessary to match the number of inlets and outlets to match the diameter of the exhaust
- Is there adequate room for the mufflers? The dimensions of the muffler should be such that these allow for the car to be cleaned easily.
- The right sized muffler would be easier to install and give the best performance for your vehicle.
- The style of the muffler. There are basically three varieties which include chamber, turbo and straight through mufflers. Each has its own set of benefits.
- Chambered mufflers work well for muscle cars. They help reduce the exhaust noise but provide the throaty growl which is expected of street vehicles. However the tone and noise reduction depends upon the number of chambers a muffler has.
- Turbo mufflers are equipped with perforated tubes and are usually S shaped. It is also packed with some sound deadening material which increases muffling. These kind of mufflers work well for turbo cars.
- Straight through mufflers work well for racing cars. These are equipped with sound absorbing materials like fiber glass. It is more compact than the other kind of mufflers and is an ideal choice for sleek sports cars.
Choose the right muffler to get the most benefit for your vehicle.